Hello There, Guest! Register

Rebel Yell

Moira Offline
Why any necrophage would want to be a boar was entirely beyond Moira's understanding. Yeah, they were fast and deadly, but so were fucking panthers. The appeal of a tusked pig eluded her beyond its ability to blend into the woods around this area. 

She lay in her hospital bed, staring up at white-washed ceiling tiles wanting the pretend that Knox wasn't going to darken the door any minute now. Looking appraisingly at the threshold and lintel, she wondered if he would fit. Ehhhh, it'll be close.  

Her grin faded when one of the doctors entered, clipboard in hand. Answering the woman's questions when she asked them, Moira submitted to having her wound examined and re-dressed by a nurse while the doctor told her they wanted her to stay another 24 hours for antibiotics. 

"Necros eat the dead. Never know what they've got on their extremities. We have to be sure." 
Moira only nodded in resignation, hurting too much to fight. 

At least she wouldn't have to pay the bill for this place. Moira pulled the pillow over her head and groaned.
Human (Carmine)

Played by: Nary

Species: Human

Knox Offline
Secret government agency or not, a Carmine hospital was just like any other in that it gave him the fucking creeps. The moment anyone moved through those heavy, hydraulic doors, they became nothing more than a carefully constructed blueprint of sinew and bone. There was no course in bedside manner here. The clinic was a place where Carmine fixed its tools. Their hunters were trowels, instruments for digging, perpetuating a healthy crop of hate.

There wasn’t a nurses station or a waiting room, as always, it was just a person and a desk. “Moira Renshaw. I believe she was brought in earlier today.”
ID.”
Knox worked on straightening his gaze so his eyes didn’t roll into the back of his head. Everyone knew they were siblings, partners. They did love their red tape.
Room 314.”

A few minutes later he strode into the room. “You look like shit.” He said, offering his sister a plaintive smile. As visitors weren’t expected or particularly tolerated, there wasn’t a chair or even a stool he could sit on, so he knelt by the edge of her bed instead. “How’re you holdin’ up, sis?”
Human (Carmine)

Played by: Lyss

Moira Offline
Moira peeked out from under the pillow as Knox crouched beside her. Relief and aversion surged in her chest at his appearance, each competing to be the most important. Her mouth twisted from grimace to frown in repeating succession while she grappled. 

"Forgot my eyeliner this morning," she finally mumbled, moving the pillow behind her head once again, hissing from the strain. Struggling against the blankets, Moira pushed herself to a seated position and put her hands in lap. 

"It hurts, and it's big, but I'll live." She touched the bandages through the hospital gown, feeling even that light brush. "Opted out of stronger pain meds, but that was when I thought I'd go home tonight." Hitching her shoulders and pursing her mouth, her eyes swiveled away from him in embarrassment. 
Human (Carmine)

Knox Offline
The guilt took root, setting in like an old carpet stain. For a while Knox stared at anything that wasn’t his sister. The room, clinical and white, was an emotionless place of healing. “You shouldn’t have been hunting on your own.” He didn’t often tug at the two year difference between them. Knox was never more of a parental figure to Moira than she was to him. They’d call each other on their stupid shit, but the authority was as flimsy as a paper sign that had been in bad weather too long.

They had to be careful with how they spoke and what they spoke of. Carmine was Big Brother’s cousin. “What I said the other week...it’s not like I’m going cold turkey or anything. It’s just a feeling, Moira. A stomach ache.” Twisting and hurtful but ignorable with enough conscious effort.
Human (Carmine)

Moira Offline
Moira looked at Knox, eyes blazing, offended at the presumption that she didn't know what she was about without him there to watch her back. Still, the nagging worry that being half of a good pair made her a lousy solo hunter crept back into her thoughts. Solo hunting was just different. But how many successful missions had it taken her to get cut up like this? Four? The difference between that and the number of missions she'd attempted felt like the Grand Canyon of failed experiments. Still, Moira thought she just needed more practice.  

"I should do whatever I want, fuck you very much," she snapped. Trying to be imperious and accusatory was nearly impossible from a hospital bed. If it didn't hurt so much to raise her arm a pointing finger would be aimed at his head, the closest target. "Good thing I'm getting acquainted with this life, then." She waved the arm on her uninjured side to include in the room. "Cold turkey or not, I'll be here a lot once you're gone." Scowling derisively, she continued, "Had to know if I could even manage it." 
Human (Carmine)

Knox Offline
Nah, don’t do that. Don’t put your recklessness on me.” He hadn’t forced her to go after that boar alone, and he knew Carmine hadn’t either. Carmine didn’t favor solo missions for this specific reason. Why waste the resources patching someone up when they could simply send two out to do the job? Their practices and policies didn’t assuage his worry either.

Moira...can you just stop for a second? Forget all this shit, alright? Have you ever thought, really thought, about what happens to us when we get older? I know you hate ‘em, but we aren’t vampires. We’re not immortal. We’re going to age and -- what then? Do you think these people are going to sit you behind a desk and make you a pencil pusher?”

Maybe, but he knew his sister, she’d sooner kill herself than succumb to that kind of corporate nightmare. Besides, there was a far more likely end and it was staring them in the face. “How many Carmine retirees have you seen? How many ex-hunters? Moira...just…think. Knox had an aching suspicion that if they did ever age out of their usefulness that their severance package would include a bullet to the head.
Human (Carmine)

Moira Offline
Moira's patience for verbal whippings waned. Fury clogged her throat and eyes, and for several moments she couldn't see anything but a watery distortion of her brother and the room around them. She didn't make a habit of questioning herself–actions or words. At best it backed you into corners, at worst, you died. But she had blamed him the whole time. Cursed him with every foul word she could find in her vast library. Even as she put a dozen holes into the retreating necro after he cut her, ripped out fangs with bare, blood-slick hands, and stumbled to her car, she muttered her stupid brother's name, as if this were entirely his fault. 

"I would rather DIE doing my part than anything else," she said, temper rising. The words were hollow like samples skipping on a scratched CD stuck in a player. Worse, she knew it. Mouth dry, breath rattled out through her lips. She looked up at Knox, eyes afloat in their sockets, overbright. Little sister. That's what she was just now. Not an equally-deadly partner. A stubborn, crying, angry, laid-up little sister. Hating herself a bit more than she had earlier, she said, "I'm sorry." 

Falling back against the pillows, she cried, every sob plunging a knife in her side. 
Human (Carmine)

Knox Offline
It was comical to see this bear of a man try to scoot up onto his sister’s twin-sized hospital bed. Pinching IVs and skewing her pillows, his well-intentioned hug did more harm than good. Apologizing, he patted her awkwardly on the shoulder, reaching up to wipe under her eyes with calloused, over-sized thumbs. Leaning in, he pressed his forehead to hers and took her hand. “I gotchu, sis.”

Since they accident they’d orbited each other like twin planets around a hateful, fury-filled sun. But that ball of fire was cooling, leaving the siblings shadowed in a vast unknown of what their life could have been and what it would become. “Forget trying to figure out what you’d do instead. Just….answer me this and then I’ll steal your pudding and leave you alone.”

Are you happy doing this? Does it make you happy?
Human (Carmine)

Moira Offline
Moira hated crying. Her eyes hurt, her side hurt, but more than anything, her pride felt damaged by a half a dozen sources. Knox's words couldn't even touch the shame she reserved for herself. This failed experiment, Carmine's treatment of solo hunters, and that thing she'd met at headquarters spoke to her of a system broken. What isn't broken, anymore? Moira though as Knox attempted to comfort her. Little pricks of pain rushed through her as weight shifted,  plastic tubing folded and straightened, and giant, rough fingers swiped tears from her face. Skin reddened, and she took as much strength as she could from his vice-like grip.

Mouth still trembling, she looked at the tray of hospital food, rolled to the other side of her bed by an errant shove before Knox's arrival. It all seemed like dressed-up dogshit from her position. 

"I'm paid," Moira said, voice flat. "Happy?" She snorted. "It sounds like a fucking TV show answer, but I'm not sure when the last time that was." Joy and happiness were separate. There was that surge of pleasure at a well-fired weapon–the feeling a perfect shot could give you was carnal. She eyed Knox again, pouting. "I still want my pudding." 
Human (Carmine)