Hello There, Guest! Register

Numbers in Rhyme

Rhea Offline

Honestly, Rhea wasn't sure why she'd chosen this particular location to study. It was louder than she had thought it would be - louder than it ever had seemed when she had been here before. All the keyboards clicking at super speed were not conducive concentrating on complicated math problems. Add that to the murmur of conversation and orders was more than she'd bargained for.

Annoyed with the sounds, Rhea added her own to the mix, tapping the eraser end of her pencil on the edge of her math text cover. She should never have come to the local coffee shop to study for one of her more complex classes. Sighing, she turned - then knocked over her coffee. "Shit!" Hurriedly she tried to brush it off her jeans but failed miserably at removing the liquid from her clothes.
Human

Played by: Em

Species: Human

Emma Offline
Coffee shops were made to boost productivity.

They were where people holed up for hours, days, weekends – just to get shit done, right?

So, what was she missing? She'd been sitting at a center table for what felt like the entirety of the morning. She’d gone through what felt like six pots of overly-sweetened coffee, and had transferred exactly zero words of handwritten poetry onto the shattered, ages-old laptop whirring gently in front of her.

Stifling a groan of frustration with another mouthful of her now room-temperature drink, Emma decided to call it. She slammed her laptop screen closed (likely adding another screen crack or two in the process), and tossed her journal on top. But before she could so much as rise from her seat (which had long ago caused her bony ass to go numb), a tidal wave of steaming coffee burst forth from the girl sitting beside her.

"Oh!" Emma yelped, making a grab for her journal – but not before several large, brown stains blossomed across the cover.

“Oh, no-no…” Grabbing a fistful of napkins from the patron sitting diagonally at the long, communal table, Emma set about frantically blotting the homemade book, all but blind to the girl with the likely scalded legs sitting, drenched, beside her.

Weren't coffee shops supposed to be relaxing?
Witch

Played by: Meg

Power: Necromancy

Rhea Offline

Oh, no. That looked like a really nice journal, and in addition to her possibly mildly burned lap she seemed to have managed to ruin her tablemate's notebook.

"I'm so sorry," she said awkwardly, grabbing napkins from the holder and offering them to the older woman while the rest went to try to dry her clothes. This wasn't at all the sort of experience she'd imagined coming down here. No, she'd pictured herself whizzing through even her hardest homework, in tune and fueled by caffeine without any problems in sight. You know, like her annoying roommate ...

"My names Rhea," she offered as she dabbed uselessly at her now-sore legs and the half-soaked tail of her shirt. "I'd offer to replace that, but it looks pretty irreplaceable. Is there anything that I can do to help?" After all, her math was (inconveniently) not going anywhere.
Human

Emma Offline
Lips pursed in consideration, Emma held the journal (oddly heavier now, given the water weight) up to the shop’s dim yellow light. The cover, far from pristine in the first place, had taken the brunt of the damage. What had sufficed as her contact information in uppermost right hand corner was now a blurred mess of blue spider-webbed ink. The curlicue spirals added at the bottom edges now looked like muddied clouds.  

Well, at least it smelled good. And maybe she'd get a caffeine boost with every whiff.

"There, there, that’s it -- not so bad, hm?" She breathed, hardly audible. A quiet flip through the inner pages swiftly revealed very minimal, if any, damage. Emma could’ve slipped the book and the battered laptop into her bag and vanished into the early afternoon light, but activity on her right reminded her of another's presence.

"Rhea, is it? Ah, no, no-it's quite alright," Emma assured her dreamily, continuing to stare at her book from every angle. Front, back. Sideways. Upside-down. Rhea's dripping and half-soaked clothes hardly made a blip on her radar.

"Actually... perhaps better than alright," she muttered, holding the journal at an angular, slightly diagonally slant.

"Look – there. It's created a whirlwind of color and shadow, hasn't it? Reminds me of... Reminds me of puddles, hours after a storm…evaporating at the edges... Oh! And here, this way..." Another angle, another slant. "Do you see the mountains? And there, right on that mark -- a hawk, surely, Rhea..."
Witch

Rhea Offline

The other girl seemed fascinated by the effect of coffee on her journal. It was strange, the way she held it up and turned it around to see the effect of the spilled coffee. And she was smelling it? Then she started talking, and it was even weirder. Not so bad? Of course it was bad! Not laptop and coffee meeting bad, but bad.

Rhea stared as the other woman described what she saw in the journal cover. Mountains? A hawk? "Well, I'm glad it's a happy accident," Rhea said tactfully, wondering if the other woman was quite all there.
Human

Emma Offline
Happy accident.

It sounded like something taken right out of a Bob Ross special, but one fleeting glance at what the spill had done to Rhea's belongings told Emma that Rhea would more likely be found watching anything but.

Notebook and rattling laptop tucked protectively under her arm, Emma reached out to flick the hardcover math text closed. Her nose wrinkled in near-comical revulsion.

"Now that's what I'd call a happy accident," she laughed, poking at the damp, stained pages. "In the very least, it’d be the only thing that'd keep me awake slogging through that mess… A steady burst of caffeine with every page. D’you do that on purpose?”
Witch