Hello There, Guest! Register

We Got a Hundred Pound Problem

Etain Offline
In the very least, she supposed, they were fortunate that it was not a hurricane. A thick blanket of snow smothering out any sign of life outside, swirling in the air and the shriek of the wind in the brief pauses before commercial breaks. All of it, terrible but a garaunteed way to keep the house cold - to keep it private. A small blessing at least, since there was a corpse in the basement that had only a day or two before the smell would waft up the steps and between the floorboards.

At least it wasn't a hurricane, humid and damp - coating everything in sweat and misery.

For now at least it was manageable, even if the news painted a grim outlook for their deadline. But there were bigger problems to tackle for the time being, such as the first genuine slight in their still new and pricey purchase. The snow apparently enough to reveal a weak spot in the ceiling, a discovery that regrettfully came to light only after her mattress had enough time to earn a water stain roughly the size of a dessert plate, just below her pillow.

For the time being she had a towel folded there, a pot set on top of it as she stepped back to make sure that the steady drip landed right on target. The noise was troublesome enough that she was quick to head back down the stairs, bundled up as the heating of the (allegedly remodeled) Victorian they called home gave it all it had but still fellt short of seventy.

"Tell me, is this hell?"
Witch

Played by: Vos

Species: Witch

Power: Necromancy

Caddoc Offline
Caddoc had spent a sizable chunk of his morning watching the ice bend their power lines. The thick black ropes of current bowed from the weight of the collecting crystals. He sipped at his coffee, eyes following a broken icicle on its way down before it staked the white powder sea beneath it. Behind him a chorus of alarm spewed from their television, shots of cars skating down the street and people walking hunched against the gale flickered in repetitive succession.

What was alarming was the corpse rotting in their basement. Admittedly, they should have bought that chest freezer when they'd had the chance.

They could simply stick him outside, cover him with a few feet of snow, and be spared the smell. Picking up the mug he had resting on the window sill, he handed it to her without tearing his gaze away from the southernmost continent outside. "I warmed it when I heard the creaking." Groaning floorboards wasn't the only way the house talked back, but it was certainly the most common. "I don't believe hell's going to have coffee, Lottie, and if they know what's good for them they'll keep us apart."
Witch

Played by: Lyss

Etain Offline
It was what she expected of him, rational and calm even when they were in a predicament. One of the main things that put him on a pedestal in her hierarchy, the tendency to carry burdens without obvious strain. If he was worried around the rot in the basement, he did not fret or pace or whine at her as if she could will the elements. He just heated up her coffee, which was precisely all she could hope for - sighing as she settled in beside him and took a sip.

There was a pause, glancing down at her mug and folding her legs underneath herself as she stared at the same looped montage of destruction both minor and major. "There's a goddamn leak in the ceiling." Just as calm, just as level as she glanced over to him before refocusing on the broadcast. "My room, right over my bed. You might want to check yours."
Witch

Caddoc Offline
"Mine's fine." He replied, finally leaving the window to come sit beside her. "So far, at least." A new roof was not in their budget. "Once the roads are passable we can pick up the supplies needed for a seal." Magical, of course. Having grown up in New England, harsh winters were something he was used to, but with the upheaval of one life and the fragile settling of another, they hadn't had time to fully prepare. "Until then, sleep with me."
Witch

Etain Offline
It was fortunate that she had gone in for another sip, the cup tilted enough to hide the lower part of her face so that he could not see her smile. "That's terriby forward." Leaving it at that as she inched over to make sure that he had enough room. "When this is all said and done, I'm moving as close to the equator as I can and living on a beach." A slight nod of finality as she slowly set her mug back down.
Witch

Caddoc Offline
"I fear you don't have the complexion for warmer climates, Lottie. Your porcelain skin will blister and burn. Best save that for your extended stay in Hell." They'd become companionable enough for teasing and comfortable enough to flirt, boldly poking at that line drawn between them like a child would a new bruise. "They said to expect another twenty-four hours of this. I think we should cajole the dearly departed downstairs to dig his way into one of the many frozen drifts in the backyard."
Witch

Etain Offline
"Two points, Doc ..." She cleared her throat, let her feet find purchase on the hardwood as she sat up straighter and turned herself so that her knee bumped against his. "One, we'll just have to shamble him back inside when all is said and done. And two, you need not worry about my skin or the state of it."
Witch

Caddoc Offline
"Then we'll shamble him back." He replied, rising and taking both of their mugs to the kitchen sink. "If you'd like to live in a bowl of potpourri to negate the smell before that lovely dinner party we agreed to host next week, than I think it would behoove us to use the freezer outside."
Witch

Etain Offline
"He can't possible become that rank so quickly." She grumbled, listened to him in the kitchen and laid her head back against the couch. "You are meant to be the practical one, Doc. I would have thought you'd anticipate this." Not a pointed finger but rather just a surprised observation.
Witch