Hello There, Guest! Register

Ripped at the Roots

Laura Offline
If people were broken down as parts of a meal, Mackenzie Tanner was the human heart. Not in the sense of feeling, as the man had the emotional depth of a ball pit at a fast food restaurant, but in the sense that he was gristle. Unpleasant to chew through, every interaction dragging on longer than felt necessary. A living and breathing reminder of her very limited supply where patience was concerned. Every necessary check-in, daunting. A black spot that served as a gateway every time she made the drive from the middle of nowhere and into the heart of Southside.

But quite like a body needed a heart to push blood, she needed him to procure the blood. So she was there again, expression sour from the moment she had pocketed her keys and made the walk up the steps to the third floor apartment that served as home base for their operation. There was the usual background garble through the thin doors: televisions blared too loud, the occasional heated conversation, a lone baby crying somewhere down a stretched hall beside the stairwell on the landing of the second floor.

None of it fazed her, preparing for the usual process of plucking teeth that was every single drop. A human with a Napoleon complex, a lapdog that yapped and bared his teeth and snarled at the drop of a hat. Her part of the ritual, a sharp tug of the leash to remind him who stacked where in the confines of the food chain. She pulled at the cuffs of her jacket, combed her fingers through her hair to push it from her face before she knocked twice and then shoved the door open all the same.

Usually there was a bag, a simple and nofrills black duffel that she could toss into the backseat and offload throughout the course of the next few nights. Commonly, it was set on the warped particle board monstrosity that she supposed could be called a coffee table. Today, there was no bag.

"Alright, I'll fuckin' bite. Where's my shit?"

Necrophage

Played by: Vos

Species: Vampire

Mac Offline

Syracuse was just a different kind of shit show.

Mackenzie chewed at the side of his finger, front teeth closing on a hangnail. He pulled, the flesh peeling back with a satisfying burn. Chewing the tiny piece of skin, he swallowed it and straightened when she came through the door. It wasn’t just the lack of duffel bag that was different. The bites on his neck were old, scabbed over and crusted from a week of disuse. There was a clot in their bloodstream. A block big enough that she was going to have a coronary. 

A smarter person would have told her they had nothing to sell this week over text, but Mac’s self-preservations skills had never been high. Besides, he’d rather fight than be hunted. He could offer himself up as a free blood buffet to his clients, get leached on and get high but he was nobody’s fucking prey.

“It’s not here.” 

Duh. 

He continued before she could throw a knife at his face. “Contact wasn’t home. Wasn’t anywhere. I asked around -- word on the street is that he up and fuckin’ croaked.”
Human

Played by: Lyss

Species: Human

Power: None

Laura Offline
She was still as she listened to him, calm as a fucking zen rock garden as he stumbled through with all the grace of a lemon bought under the table from a shady dealership. It took an act of every god in known existence, a coalition of holy, to keep from grabbing him by his scrawny little neck and slamming his head hard into the wall hard enough to dent the drywall. 

At the mention of a dead vampire, she flinched enough to provide the slightest tell of surprise and displeasure. A moment in which she softened before she returned to pissed off with a renewed vigor. "Well what in the fuck is the word on the street about it? Where? How? When?" All of those questions, more about self-preservation then any real concern about the poor twice-dead fucker that got a little too reckless and cost her a paycheck. "And the way this works is that I tolerate you because you handle my shit here. It doesn't sound like you been handlin' fuck all, Mackenzie" One hand flailed, gesturing vaguely to where her bag of goods should have been.
Necrophage

Mac Offline

Briefly, he wondered how many times he could squawk 'I don't know' before she separated his head from his body. The simmer behind her eyes told him he'd get away with one, maybe two, then she'd take his spine out for fresh air.

Unable to commit to said verbal suicide, Mac shrugged his shoulders by way of answer instead. He'd survived this long by treading water. The monsters were below the surface. They would brush against him under the the waves, but so long as he didn't let himself go under, they could remain useful and benign as secretive, shimmering shadows.

"I'll find another supplier." Confident. Flat. "In the meantime..." there was an expectant beat before he laughed and gestured to her. "Guess it's time for you to make your fucking contribution, Princess."
Human

Played by: Lyss

Species: Human

Power: None

Laura Offline
The simplicity of it was maddening, annoyingly confident for someone who could die at the drop of a hat. She wondered sometimes when Mackenzie Tanner had her craving the taste of meat that wasn't stagnant and cold if ants knew how fragile they were. If every living thing that stayed it's whole life under the thumb of another creature was just as blind to it as he was.

"My fuckin' contribution is that I make us the money, I handle the thrall's so you don't have to get carved up on principle." Even so, she pursed her lips, looked down her nose at him as she shrugged off her jacket and left it on the wooden floor as she carefully pushed up the cap sleeve of her t-shirt. "I turn a blind eye so I don't have to listen to your excuses when my fuckin' stash isn't what it should be - like there's a fuckin blood borrower living in the walls." The accusation clear as she sat on the edge of the table.

"At least help speed this shit up, Jesus ...."
Necrophage